Friday, September 25, 2009

War on Hunger


The attacks on September 11, 2001 impacted us all. Most of us remember where we were and our reactions. The fact is that many people died in a terrible apparently unprovoked manner. Although I agree that the 9/11 attacks were awful the fact is that many more people die daily in ways that could easily be prevented.

This image tries to put into perspective the number of people that are starving in the world with something most Americans can relate to. We obviously cannot witness 824 million people starving. To most of us the concept of starvation is foreign, something we have never suffered from or witnessed, whereas we were all horrified when we saw the destruction of the World Trade Center in 2001. Since then, the "war on terrorism" has been a priority for our government, politicians and many people who have served in our armed forces. But few government officials touch the subject of "war on hunger". We have not separated billions of dollars to solve the issue of approximately 35 million people in the United States who are going hungry, let alone world wide. The image effectively gives us a point of comparison of a number of people we can relate to and makes the viewer aware of the huge disparity in the numbers.

The controversy behind this image is using a very sensitive time in our history which has provoked a long and costly war (not only in dollars but in human lives) which many of us believe has been completely justified in order to protect the world from terrorists. Meanwhile it makes us aware that we all turn a blind eye to an issue as delicate as people who die everyday from something as simple as not having food to keep them alive.

Personally, I am against all wars. I was also horrified and frightened at the 9/11 attacks, but I am much more horrified of the idea that millions of people do not have enough to eat. Growing up, my mother would have me make food for those less fortunate than me, mostly children who lived in the slums in my country and I would take it to them, this gave me a huge perspective of how blessed I was. I mean I have never been rich, but I always had a plate of food on the dinner table. I would watch children that were my equals similar in age and size, scarf down the food as if it would run away, we would drive by garbage dumps with children walking through them in search for scrap metal in order to make some money and therefore have access to food. (Since my childhood, the military dictatorship in my country ended and there are many laws in place that protect and provide nourishing meals to children, and the number of children searching through garbage has gone down tremendously.) These altruistic actions my mother taught me since a very early age has made me a compassionate person. I was always taught to make sure that everyone had there basic necessities met. To me it is very difficult to conceive that the idea of spending trillions of dollars on a war that has cost many more lives than the attacks that triggered it is justified. If the effort and money that has been placed on the war had been placed on making sure all children had access to food and water, I would sleep better at night, wouldn't you?

8 comments:

  1. wow..that really DOES put things in perspective. I very much agree with you Josephina, our government should be more aware that the money we're spending on this "war on terror" could be used to help people instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josefina!
    I think your post really brings our attention to this problem. Youre right, since Americans generally do not think like this, due to our wealth it is important to be aware of situations outside our boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this picture not only because it addresses a global issue but also because it brings the issue to us as Americans. Many Americans think that extreme poverty and hunger only happen off in distant lands like Africa or Latin America. We forget that there are Millions of children who's only meal may be a free lunch at school, if that. Most of us are upset when we can't afford the food that we want and "Have to eat what we have." I can't imagine not knowing where my next meal will come. I hope images like this help people to realize, yes we have to take care of outside issues but we also have to address issues right in our backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree with you Josefina, that our government should spend less money on the war and spend more money to feed all the people who do not food. We Americans should come together like a tragic event of September 11 to help those people who are starving. When I see people on the streets begging money for food I feel bad for them. Hunger is an important issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This image is pretty powerful. At first glance it is another 9/11 picture, but when you actually take the time to read the caption it is even more sobering. I agree that we should do more to help the hungry. Though I do not believe that money is the answer, but that we should educate people within our own country and those of third world countries how to provide for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture is great, it gives a good idea of what we should do to prevent hunger.I personally think that hunger is a fight that you cant win.Hunger is a result of various factors such as lack of education,and developement.Before you can concentrate on hunger you have to focus on the issues that surround it, which is what creates the hunger its not just the food its other things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand with what you are saying, and I do agree with you to an extent. I am against this war as well, and see it as pointless, but I do not think we have the resources, at least as of now to really do much about those starving in other countries. We need to bring our troops back, and stop spending so much money on this "war on terrorism". What we should be spending money on is trying to fix our own country, because it is our first priority. With so many people out of jobs, and the economy the way it is, we need to find a way to help support our american people. There are also a growing number of elderly people who are losing their retirement funds and medicare benefits. I feel for those people in countries that don't have enough resources to feed everyone, but if we keep focusing on foreign affairs, our economy will keep on falling and lead to even more serious consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete